Our History & Heritage
The Congregational United Church of Christ of Armada was incorporated in 1838 as the First Congregational Church and Society, with nine charter members who settled in the Armada area from New York. They met in a log shanty, a school house, and over a general store before erecting the first building in 1843–1856. The building followed the traditional New England architectural style, white frame with steeple. The current building was erected in 1914. Two stained glass windows, circa 1887, memorializing early pastors, adorn the side room.
The Church was important to the community with as many as 215 students registered in the Sabbath School and a huge library of over 400 volumes. As other churches formed their own Sunday schools, attendance declined.
Music has always been an important part of our heritage. The first pipe organ was built by two members in 1854; it was in use until 1929 when a newer pipe organ was installed. In the 1950s, members voted to purchase a Baldwin organ, but in 1987 in honor of our 150th anniversary, a new nine rank Moeller pipe organ was installed. From the early 20th century to the late mid-century, records indicate the church had a large chancel choir as well as children's and youth choirs, which performed frequently in the community.
In 1958, the church became part of the newly formed United Church of Christian ecumenical merger of Congregational and Evangelical & Reformed denominations.
In September 2001, on the church's 163rd anniversary, a new wing was dedicated which provided administrative offices and Sunday school rooms. A ground floor entrance and an elevator made the church completely handicap accessible. An unfinished second floor provides space for future expansion.
We cherish our history. We have many viewpoints and express our faith in a variety of ways from a traditional worship perspective. More importantly, we worship one God through Jesus the Christ and the Holy Spirit. We are involved in caring for and sharing in each other's lives. By giving our time, talents, resources and gifts, we express care and concern for all God's people and for God's creation.